As we begin to seek Yahuweh and His Word earnestly and with all our heart, we begin to experience a collision of doctrines. This collision is one of Biblical Truth, colliding against Doctrines and Commandments of Men. This collision produces a great sense of uneasiness, turmoil, and confusion, just like conditions on a battle field.
In order to bring peace and calm, we must do one of two things. We must either surrender, and fall victim to the enemy’s weapons — the Doctrines and Commandments of Men; or we must wrestle over the issues, in order to prevail, and overcome.
As Believers, many today are not facing the Truth issues. Some Believers are running directly to the Bride’s waiting-room, to await the return of the Bridegroom, while trying to avoid wrestling over the issues. The process of seeking Yahuweh, and searching the Scriptures, confronting the issues, and wrestling, and overcoming, seems too difficult for them.
Many other Believers want to avoid confrontation altogether, thinking what they currently hold is pure Truth; anything [even true, Biblical doctrine] that collides with their current understanding must be error!
Those of either group, if they avoid the wrestling, will be among the Foolish virgins of Matthew 25:1-13.
The Wise virgins, however, are willing to face the issues. They will seek out the issues in Scripture, one by one, and will engage the wrestling, head-on. These are the ones who will prevail, and overcome, and attain victory.
In this writing we will address the wrestling, and overcoming, that must occur as we confront the doctrinal issues head-on, using the Word of Yahuweh [the Scriptures], and prayer. This wrestling must continue until we prevail, and overcome.
The only alternative is to shrink back, and not enter the fray. For the Bride-Candidates, that shrinking-back should not be an option. We must prevail, and overcome in the doctrinal arena, for this is the preparation-room for those that would be among the Bride-Company as ‘Wise’ virgins.
Here in part 1, we will look at an overview of the confrontation, and the process of how one may overcome. It is befitting that we might see Rachel as our first example of overcoming, for in many ways she is prophetic of the Bride. In part 2, we will show a little more detail, and will look at Jacob as the example of one who overcomes, and prevails.
The Call to Overcome
In each of the messages to the seven cities In the Book of Revelation, we see Yahushua calling out all Believers to be among those who overcome:
The Call for All Believers to Overcome
- To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God. (Revelation 2:7b)
- He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death. (Revelation 2:11b)
- To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it. (Revelation 2:17b)
- And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: (Revelation 2:26)
- He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. (Revelation 3:5)
- Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. (Revelation 3:12)
- To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. (Revelation 3:21)
- He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. (Revelation 21:7)
According to the above passages in Revelation, each exhortation to overcome includes a promise. We need not be reminded that all of the called-out people (Believers) addressed in the messages to the 7 cities, are all redeemed, New Covenant Believers. But notice that all of the above promises, and even the entire inheritance (as stated above in Rev 21:7), depends on whether or not these Born-Again Believers are able to overcome! Since this is such a serious and important matter, we will look in detail at the Scriptures that show us how we can overcome.
But what does it mean to overcome? What must we overcome? How do we become “overcomers?” Let’s look at this important process of overcoming, so that we might be among those who overcome, and inherit all things.
Becoming an Overcomer
From the very beginning of our walk with Yahushua, we are called to overcome, and prevail. Scripture shows our first step of overcoming occurs when we become Born-Again:
Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. (1John 4:4)
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (1John 5:4-5)
As soon as we become Born-Again, we begin the process of overcoming. But the process is not complete, for we have just begun the journey of walking with Yahushua, and of learning to overcome. There are many pitfalls to our walk, and many things to overcome. The wicked or ‘evil one’ makes every attempt to prevent our progress along the Way. Notice the next passage:
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. (1John 2:14)
Notice that overcoming the ‘wicked one’ is a result of the “Word of Yahuweh abiding in you.” In order to be an overcomer, one must abide completely in the Word of Yahuweh. Beloved, this is where our struggle — our wrestling against the evil one — begins! Notice the following:
For we wrestle (not against flesh and blood, but) against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)
There is a continual wrestling match going on, whereby these evil principalities and powers continually oppose all those who desire to draw near to Messiah, and walk with Him. Let’s now notice the nature of this opposition. After having been Born-Again, we are exhorted to grow:
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. (2Peter 3:18)
These evil principalities and powers in the heavenly realms have only one goal: to prevent us from “growing in Grace, and in the knowledge of … Yahushua Messiah.” Our purpose for ‘wrestling’ against these principalities and powers in the heavens, is so that we might succeed in growing in Grace, and in the knowledge of Yahushua Messiah; so that we might overcome; and so that we might attain “the prize of the high calling of Yahuweh in Messiah Yahushua.” (Philippians 3:14)
The evil principalities and powers in the heavenlies, the demons that are the rank-and-file soldiers of satan, know one thing very well. They realise that our growing in Biblical Grace will cause us to overcome!
Thus they try in every way to thwart the Words of Yahushua from being acted upon in our life, in order to prevent us from overcoming, and entering in to our inheritance, the Promised Land — where we will “inherit all things.” But how do these demonic beings in the heavenly realms influence us? How do they thwart our growth?
These wicked demons in the heavenly realms are actually able to influence well-meaning, but unsuspecting people, here on earth, in corrupting the Scriptures we are to feed upon, for our growth. These corruptions are made in two ways:
Forms of Scripture Corruption Today
- Corrupt the words of Scripture. This comes through the many popular, modern Bible versions, as many are based on corrupted manuscripts.
- Corrupt (twist) what the Scriptures actually say, and what they mean for us today. This comes through the many popular Bible Doctrines, many of which are truth, mixed with Doctrines of Men.
In this writing we will focus on item (2) above, and look at how we might overcome the evil one, by our wrestling over what is Biblically true, and what is not. We are in a ‘wrestling’ contest. We are being seduced away from Biblical Truth, by the Doctrines and Commandments of Men, that turn men away from the truth (Titus 1:14). We must not let that happen!
Our goal is to grow in Biblical ‘Grace’ and also in the ‘knowledge’ of Yahushua Messiah. We must then realise it is at these two points where the attacks will be made! The Doctrines of Men are focused on attacking and perverting these two things: 1) Biblical ‘Grace’ and 2) the ‘knowledge’ of Yahushua Messiah. We should therefore expect to see counterfeits of these two Truths of Grace and of Knowledge of Yahushua. It is here that the attacks are made. It is here, where our guard should be up, and our wrestling will become fierce. Our wrestling must bring us to the point that we prevail, and overcome!
Seeking Yahuweh for Truth
In the above passage in 1John 2:14, we saw that overcoming is the result of the Word of Yahuweh abiding in us. We also recall from (Matt 7:24, 26) that it is not in the hearing of the Word, but in the “doing” of Biblical Truth, that will become a good foundation. It is likewise the “doing” of Biblical Truth that will cause us to overcome. However, a mixture of truth and error can actually prevent us from overcoming, and from entering in. How do we find this pure truth, and avoid deception?
Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I will pardon it. (Jeremiah 5:1)
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
Jesus saith unto him, I am … the truth…. (John 14:6a)
And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: (2Thessalonians 2:10-11)
In order to overcome, we must seek Yahuweh for His Truth. We must seek His Word. We must ask Him to give us a love for the truth, so that we will not be deceived. Loving the truth is a guard against delusion, and deception. We must seek the One who IS the Truth!
For those having the desire to overcome, Biblical Truth must become the supreme arbiter in all matters, so as to avoid mixtures that contain error. As we saw in What You Believe: True or False? The Simple Biblical Test, we must be willing to ‘let go’ of long-held beliefs, if they have any contradiction with all of Scripture, including the word of the Prophets.
Walking in Truth Brings Fiery Trials
As soon as we find the Word of Yahuweh, and then begin to ‘walk in’ the Truth we have been given, we begin to experience ‘fiery trials’ of testing by Yahuweh. These fiery trials are an indication that we are finally making Yahuweh’s Word ‘effective’ in our life, rather than of ‘none effect’ by the traditions of men (Mark 7:13). Let’s see why these fiery trials come to everyone:
Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try (“test”) you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: (1Peter 4:12)
Beloved, the Apostle Peter exhorts us to “think it not strange.” These fiery trials and testings are to be expected by all those who seek Yahuweh with all their heart. As a result of this seeking, many are experiencing a confrontation between the Living Word of Yahuweh, and the way we have always understood it to be. When we begin to seek Yahuweh, we begin to see that much of the Doctrines we hold to is merely ‘Traditions and Doctrines of Men’ that we have accumulated during years of church attendance. As a result of seeking, many are undergoing this ‘wrestling,’ and it is difficult and painful. But we must wrestle, in order to overcome, and prevail, and attain victory.
The Two-Fold Wrestling of Rachel
As Yahuweh continues to bless us by opening our eyes to Biblical Truth, he then begins to test us in what we have understood. This testing comes in the form of a two-fold ‘wrestling,’ and is necessary to separate Biblical Truth from error. This wrestling is part of Yahuweh’s purpose for His people.
As we seek Yahuweh and the Truth of Scripture, He allows us to experience opposition to the Truth of His Word. This opposition drives us to ‘wrestle’ with Yahuweh, in prayer, over what is really true, and what is not. Part of this opposition comes from well-meaning friends, and from Pastors and other spiritual Leaders, who have not sought Yahuweh for Biblical Truth, but see their error as truth. Our wrestling, and prevailing in prayer with Yahuweh, then results in simultaneous victory over our opponent, who had become a participant in the opposition against us! The victory comes when we see, and then begin to walk in the Truth of Scriptures, concerning that particular issue.
A beautiful example of this two-fold wrestling can be seen in the life of Rachel, who had suffered reproach for not being able to bear any children to Jacob. Let’s look at the following passages:
And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I die. (Genesis 30:1)
And Rachel said, With great<0430> (“elohiym”) wrestlings have I wrestled with my sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali. (Genesis 30:8)
Rachel surely knew of the Word of Yahuweh spoken to Abraham and to Isaac, the promises that there would spring forth many nations from their progeny. But Rachel was barren, and Yahuweh had not yet answered her prayers. And because she was barren, all her senses, as well as her friends and neighbours, opposed Rachel with reproach, almost to the point that she despaired of life. In her thinking, she had no part in the promises of Yahuweh.
But notice Rachel wrestled with “elohiym” wrestlings. the Hebrew word ‘elohiym’ has a dual meaning here. The word means “great, mighty; mighty one,” but it is also the most common title of Yahuweh used in all of Scripture! This dual meaning reveals a great principle! It was through Rachel’s “Elohiym” wrestlings (wrestling with Yahuweh in prayer), that Rachel prevailed in the ‘wrestlings’ with her sister. Notice that Rachel’s prevailing in prayer was a simultaneous prevailing against her opposition.
If we are to overcome, and prevail, we too must wrestle in prayer with Yahuweh. As we seek Him for the Truth of His Word, we will begin to experience an extreme opposition against the Doctrines of Men, held unknowingly by most Pastors, Spiritual Leaders, and many other Believers. But it is through our prayers, and our seeking the Truth of the Word, that will cause us to prevail, and to overcome all opposition!
We have seen how the wrestling and prevailing of Rachel is an example for our learning today. In Part 2, we will see how our wrestling, and our prevailing, like Jacob, results in Yahuweh giving us a new name!
Proceed to Part 2: The Wrestling of Jacob
- Seven Biblical Guidelines for Studying the Bible: Using Scripture to Interpret the Scriptures New! – What is the source of our current understanding of the Bible? The pure Truths of Scripture are of highest importance — how we understand the Scriptures will affect our eternal condition! To avoid being deceived by man-made doctrines, we must not rely on Preachers, Teachers, Bible notes or commentaries. Instead we must study and understand the Bible for ourselves — not looking through the lenses of tradition or man-made Bible study methods — but relying only on what the Bible actually says about how to study and understand the Scriptures! Here are 7 Biblical Guidelines that show us the way!
- Sin: According to the Scriptures – The Scriptures reveal the New Testament definition of Sin, and warn us of the Mystery of Iniquity deceiving many today; Yahushua reveals who will not ‘enter in’ because of iniquity
- After Forgiveness: The Next Step – After receiving forgiveness of our sins, What is our Next Step? Father has shown us our destination, our goal, and has shown us steps to take to arrive at our goal. These three steps enable us to know who Messiah is, and they show us how we may truly believe Him, walk with Him, abide [‘remain’] in Him, and ultimately enter in with Him
- The Promised Land: Choosing to Enter In – Yahuweh gives us freedom to choose whom we will serve; we may then choose to enter in, by His Grace, or we may choose not to enter in, depending on our choices
- Who is the Chaste Virgin? – The Bridegroom is coming for His Bride — one who is chaste, and without corruption. The Scriptures warn us of the many forms of corruption, and how to remove them, in order to remain chaste, and ready for the Bridegroom
- Joshua & Caleb – Joshua and Caleb “together” reveal the only ones who will be allowed future entry into the Promised Land